Monday, April 13, 2009

April 5, 2009





I've been contemplating exactly what I will share for this post. In July of 2006, we dedicated J to the Lord at camp. It was such a special time for our family. I wish I blogged then because I never put into words what that service meant for me. On that day, our dear friend and mentor led the service. He challenged not only us as paretns, but all our friends and family who were there, to bring up J in a God honoring way. I remember, as they all laid hands on us to pray for us, that my prayer was that J would come to know the Lord at a young age and others prayed the same. Even as I write this, there are so many emotions and memories from that special service. It's a moment in my life that I will not forget.

Last Sunday, my little 4 year old accepted Jesus into his heart. J is very inquisitive and asks questions about everything. As we were passing a cemetery, he asked about the people who where in there. So I began to explain again (we've had this conversation before) that when people die they are buried there. Only there bodies go there, but there spirits go to heaven if they have Jesus in their heart. He then asked me "Mommy, do I have Jesus in my heart?" I said, "well, you have to ask him to come into your heart." And then as a full of faith 4 year old, he said out loud, "Jesus, will you come in my heart?" So, we spent the next few minutes talking about exactly what that means. At the end of our time, he said he wanted to ask Jesus into his heart.

Obviously there is so much a 4 year old doesn't understand. Only the Lord knows his heart. But I am so encouraged and I rejoice! There are so many teachable moments throughout my day with my kids. I love the time I get to spend just explaining life, explaining how things work, and teaching them about God's amazing love for them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

JAKEYYYYYYYY!

Neal & I just read this & we are so excited for you!!!!!!! I was about the same age & I actually still remember it! It just brought tears to our eyes reading this. Thank you for sharing!!!
J

Diana said...

Wow, I didn't know you were that young. How cool you still remember it. Will you pass this along to your mom? I love that your parents were at his dedication and HE LOVES the bible you all gave him.

Michelle said...

Wow! How exciting! Derek and I are so happy for you guys. I can't imagine what an amazing feeling it must be to have Jake as not only your son, but also as your brother in Christ now.

Mandi said...

How wonderful to know that the Lord is already at work in Jake's precious heart! I am praying that God continues to give you the wisdom you need to provide Jake with the answers he needs for his thoughtful, spiritual questions. He is blessed with a wonderful Mom!

Gina said...

That is so cool. Words can't express the joy. But it's just too bad you don't have any pictures of that special long ago day ;)
Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! ah, that story made me weepy:) i'm so excited for little jakey and you guys. we need to get together friend...when?

ab

Diana said...

Gi-I do have pictures (lots, remember?), but they are not digital and i don't have a scanner. I realize you were probably joking. Ab-we do need to. Lets talk soon.

Heb said...

WOw! Amazing and I'm so happy for Him! :) The picture of you and him is so sweet. I love it....you just look beautiful Di.
Love you!